1. Turn on your computer and open a new page in MS Word. Start with giving it the title “Self-Assessment Evaluation” in capital letters. You can also include the name of the management division and the name of the company. But if you are going to get the document printed on the company letter head, you don’t need to write the name of your company.
2. The items you need to list at the left margin are name, title, date of hire and review period. All these items will be followed by a colon and five spaces. You will click on the “developer” if using Word 2007? You should see “Developer” at the top right side of the page. Click on the “Legacy Tools” in the controls box. A menu of icons using which you can create fill in forms will appear. For this step you will use the tab saying “ab.” You need to click the button at the 5th space you created and as a result grey colored rectangular box.
3. Make sure that the title “Job Performance” is created in the center of the page. Now leave some spaces and then list three grades horizontally “poor”, “fair”, “average”, “good” and outstanding. Now you need to turn to the left margin where you will vertically enter these factors like “work habits”, “communication”, “organizational skills,” “Leadership”, “Safety Practices” and “Persona attributes.”
4. Come back to the “Legacy tools” function. There is an icon you need to select and the icon has a check box inside a box. In fact you need to place 5 horizontal boxes against each of the work practice you wrote earlier. This is the best way to check your grades. You need to be very realistic when placing these grads. This way employee also will be able to have some idea about his own performance at work.
5. Now go to the “Legacy Tools” function. You will simple select the icon having a check inside a box. Start placing a series of five check boxes after all the work practices you identified earlier. In this way the employee will be able to find out which grade he or she believes best reflects his or her performance.
6. Below the grading section create a new title “Training Needs”. The employee needs to mention the type of training he thinks can help him improve his productivity.
7. “Career Development Plan” is the next section you need to create. In this section the employees should be instructed to write action steps that would enable them to get closer to their career objectives. Including time-line in this section is very important.
8. How the self-assessment evaluation form is going to be used? It must be clear that how it is going to be used to supplement oral evaluations. What if there is contradiction between the evaluation completed by the employee and the evaluation provided by the supervisor.
9. Make sure you save the document as a template. The supervisor will fill out the elements in step 2 and the employee will fill out the rest of the sections.